Everyone looking up at new No. 1, Rory McIlroy

On a day that saw Tiger Woods shoot his lowest round in a final round of a PGA Tour event, 22-year old Rory McIlroy bested the field, and now sits atop the world golf rankings. As the best golfer in the world.

The youngster who goes by 'Rors' heard roars coming from the galleries in front of him, as Woods went deeper and deeper en route to shooting an eight-under, 62.

The charge was answered by McIlroy, who finished off the 2012 Honda Classic with a one-under 69 and claimed his post, at the top of the World Golf Rankings.

Going into the final round, McIlory was quoted saying he though par golf would be good enough to win on Sunday.

He wasn't far off that remark.

Again, hearing the roars coming from in front of him. I'm sure he took notice of Woods' name, creeping into the picture and up the leader board.

In his post round interview, McIlroy was asked when he became aware that Woods had made a charge and how did it effect him?

"I wasn't really paying much attention until he made that eagle on 18." Said McIlroy. "I heard the huge roar and it definitely wasn't a birdie roar."

"That's when I knew that he probably got to 10. You know, it was nice to have that two‑shot cushion going into the last five holes after holing that birdie putt."

Not only was it Woods going low. His fellow countryman and former World No. 1, Lee Westwood was also getting into the act. Closing with a seven-under, 63 to finish in solo fourth.

This was to be McIlroy's day however.

After starting his day out with seven straight pars, McIlroy's first birdie did not come until the par-four, 8th.

That would get him to 12-under. Making the turn at one-under.

He gave a shot back on the par-four, 12th. However quickly regained that stroke on the next hole with a birdie on the par-four, 13th.

Next up was the 'Bear Trap', where last year, McIlroy famously carded three straight double bogeys on that three hole stretch.

This year was different. He got through 15, 16 and 17 at level par. Now heading to 18 with a two shot lead on the finishing hole.

Asked he how felt coming down the stretch, if he was nervous at all. The new world No. 1 answered, "To be honest, no. I didn't feel‑‑ it was nice, because I knew what I needed to do."

"There was no uncertainty, okay, maybe he can do this or he can do that. There was 10‑under in the clubhouse, so I knew what I needed to do to win. So that focused my mind a little bit. I suppose took the uncertainty out of it."

McIlroy has probably been playing the best and most consistent golf of anyone in recent months.

Just in PGA Tour events, he has not finished outside the top-5 in his last five events.

Worldwide; including all events, which has been 12 starts. He has three wins and 11 top-5's. His worst finish in that stretch. A tie for 11th.

In speaking of his play over the last six months. McIlroy said, "I always felt like when I played my best, I would be hard to beat; Congressional or Quail Hollow or whatever when I play my best, I usually can get quite a lead."

"But I feel at the minute, you know, even if I don't play my best golf, I can still challenge, which gives me a lot of confidence, also."

"So yeah, when I'm firing on all cylinders, I feel like I'm hard to beat, but even playing‑‑ I still feel like I can play better than what I did this week and still be able to win is very nice."

McIlroy is certainly firing on all cylinders at the moment. After his magic week in Palm Beach Gardens at PGA National, on the Champion course.

From an interview he gave at the age of 10. McIlroy was asked what he wanted to do when he grew up.

The curly headed kid from Northern Ireland replied, he wanted to be the best golfer in the world and win majors.

After today, both of those dreams have now been achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment