Rookie Harris English in the mix at Honda Classic

22-year old Harris English is the same age as Rory McIlroy, who he will be paired with; along with Tom Gillis, in the final round of the 2012 Honda Classic.

Though the two share the same age. Their careers are in two entirely different places heading into Sunday.

McIlroy of course has a shot to become the No. 1 ranked player in the world. And is the reigning U.S. Open champion.

English on the other hand, is playing in just his sixth PGA Tour event since turning pro.

The Georgia native has played in five events so far in 2012 on the PGA Tour. Making the cut in all five events.

His highest finish, came at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, where he finished in a tie for 15th.

Solid play this week at the Honda Classic has landed English in the final pairing on Sunday. Rounds of 66, 69 and 66 have the young rookie, just two back of McIlroy.

English spoke a little about his round in his press conference Saturday afternoon.

"I played pretty well today. Missed it in the right spot. On my good shots, I made some good birdies I felt like on the back nine and really in the Bear Trap, I just missed in the right spots and kind of knew where I would have a shot of getting up‑and‑down from."

"It's really tough in that wind hauling off the right, it's tough to hit it in there close, and 3 is good on those par 3s. I felt like I did everything well today. Really, really hit the ball where I wanted to, and putted well."

This marks the first time this season that English has been near or in contention this late in an event.

When asked about this sort of stage, since turning pro only last September. English replied, "Oh, it's awesome. The past year has been unbelievable for me, starting with making it to the finals of the NCAA Championship while at Georgia."

English of course made head lines last year when he won on the Nationwide Tour as an amateur. Capturing the Children's Hospital Invitational.

Asked if that helped him, in regards to being in contention and winning at the PGA Tour Level. English said, "Yeah, that was probably my third Nationwide I played in. Coming down the stretch with John Peterson was really good and I learned a lot about myself and how I play under pressure."

"It was a really good boost for me, winning that tournament. Kind of let me know that, I don't know if I'm actually ready to play and win a tournament yet but it kind of helped me get over that first hump of knowing I can do it."

"I've been learning a lot these past five weeks, six weeks, playing on the PGA TOUR and I feel like I've learned a lot and had some good experiences and I'm ready to play tomorrow."

Tomorrow, English will be facing a different sort of pressure playing in the final pairing of a PGA Tour event for the first time. In just his sixth start on Tour.

Add the pressure of playing with a guy in McIlroy, who could become the No. 1 ranked player in the world.

Well, we'll have to wait and see what the situation does to the 22-year old rookie.

One thing seems certain with English. Though he has only played in six PGA Tour events. He certainly has the game to compete on the game's biggest stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment