A 3 way tie at the top after 1 at Pebble

The 2012 PGA Tour debut for Tiger Woods grabbed all the early headlines at the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Three now sit tied atop the leader board after the first round of play.

Danny Lee, Charlie Wi and Dustin Johnson are all at the top after the opening round, carding first round scores of nine-under on two separate courses at Pebble Beach.

Both Lee and Johnson played Pebble Beach in their opening rounds. While Wi was on the Monterey Peninsula course for his opening 18.

Johnson, the 2009 and 2010 champion at Pebble Beach , began his round with a very impressive first six holes.

Johnson was asked how he liked coming back to Pebble Beach, where he has had recent success.

"Yeah, well, today I would have liked any golf course." said Johnson in his post round press conference.

"I played well. But I love being out here. I love the courses. They all set up very well to me. I feel comfortable on them, especially off the tees. You know, I've been struggling the last couple weeks."

"I haven't been driving it that great, but I drove it really well today. Actually, I've been working really hard the last three days on the putter and the driver and it paid off. I'm starting to roll the ball like I usually do."

"All these greens out here I'm really comfortable with reading them. I think I see the putts very well. This year it's the best I've ever seen the greens at Pebble."

The South Carolina native carded two birdies and two eagles in his first six holes to jump out quickly, at six-under.

His only slip would be on the par-3, 12th. Where he would find his only bogey of the day.

New Zealand's Lee, started his day on the back nine at Pebble Beach.

The now Irving, Texas resident was of only a handful of players that kept a clean card in the opening round.

Lee would come out quickly with an eagle on No. 11 (his second) then adding two more birdies on his opening nine. Going out in 32.

Three more birdies and a second eagle on the par-five, second would prove enough to finish the day tied for the lead at nine under.

Wi, was on a 59 watch early this afternoon on the Monterey Peninsula.

The 40-year old South Korean would make the turn in 28 after carding four birdies and an eagle.

Three more birdies on the back nine of Monterey Peninsula would bring him into the three way tie we now have at the AT&T National Pro-Am.

Wi was asked since winning a state amateur title here in 1990, if he enjoyed coming to Pebble Beach still to this day, with the success he has had here in the past.

"Oh, Pebble is probably my favorite course. It's the number one course in my mind. That's my favorite."

"Winning the state amateur means a lot. Since I went to school at Berkley, I have a lot of friends that come down to cheer for me. It's really nice to be up here, especially when the weather's nice."

The trio will take their leads into the second round of play tomorrow, with a one shot lead over two players. As well as a two stroke deficit over a group of four players tied at six-under par.

1 comment:

  1. Looking for some exciting PGA TOUR action? Then get ready for the Mayakoba Golf Classic on the stunning Playa del Carmen in Mexico. Airing Feb 22-26 on the Golf Channel. All the info you need is right here: http://bit.ly/zGwlkh

    ReplyDelete