Chris Kirk wins McGladrey Classic

Chris Kirk, A former resident of Sea Island, GA. who still keeps a house here, shot a final-round 66 to win by one Sunday at The McGladrey Classic.

Kirk, who had never played particularly well at Sea Island Golf Club, until it mattered the most. Gave the home town supporters something to cheer about last Sunday afternoon.

This victory, Kirk's second PGA Tour title was his first since 2011. Though the location made it even more special.

"To come here to Sea Island, which is a place that I love and cherish so much, and Davis (Love’s) tournament, it just an unbelievable thing," Kirk said. "Davis was kind of my guy when I was 12 and 13, really starting to play golf. He was my favorite player, and he's turned from being my idol to sort of a mentor and good friend. So I'm a very lucky person to be in that situation, and to win his tournament really means a lot to me."

He also got more than a little help from Briny Baird, who hit his approach shot from a fairway bunker on the final hole into the water to help hand the trophy to Kirk.

Baird went from trailing by two to leading by one in a span of two holes on the back nine, looking as though he might be headed for his first career win when he reached the par-5, 15th in two, giving him  a chance at eagle.

However, Baird missed his eagle putt and ran it by some four feet past the hole -- Resulting in a three-putt, par.

Kirk on the other hand made his 20-footer to save par and stay within one of the lead.

"That kept me in it," said Kirk, who two holes later pulled even with a birdie.

"There's always a silver lining," Baird said. "Whether I made that putt or missed that putt, I still would have said it was a good week."

In front of galleries cheering for the once resident, it was a much better week for Kirk.

The kid who grew up in Georgia is headed for his first visit to Augusta and The Masters, something he has dreamed about since he was 12 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment