Brendan Steele Keeps Grinding Along in his Rookie Season

For a rookie on the PGA Tour, you are just hoping to be able to play enough tournaments and well enough in those events to secure your playing privileges for the following year.

2010 Nationwide Tour graduate Brendan Steele did that this year in his rookie season, and then some.

The 28-year old has teed it up in 27 tournaments in 2011 and has made the cut in 16 of those events.

Steele won the Valero Texas Open and racked up another two top-10 and seven top-25 finishes, easily securing his PGA Tour card for a few more years.

The Idyllwild California native has banked an impressive $1,845,997 in 2011, good enough for 45th on the PGA Tour money list this season.

After carding a four-under 67 in round one of the Frys.com Open, he finds himself tied atop the leader board with Briny Baird, Garrett Willis and Matt Bettencourt.

Steele obviously has some momentum and gas left in the tank even after playing so many events this season. Having three top-20 finishes in his last five events.

In his post round interview, Steele was asked about how tired he actually was now that his rookie season is beginning to wind down.

"Yeah, it's been amazing. I mean it's been better than I ever could have imagined. I was telling Scott yesterday that I feel like I've packed a lot of years of experience into one year with everything from the win to contending in a major to the playoffs."

"I went to Europe and played a little bit. So I've had a lot of experience this year and I think it'll really bode well for me in the future."

Steele also went on to talk a little about his game was rounding into shape in 2011.

"Yeah I've been playing pretty solid. Four rounds in the 60's last week, so can't complain about that. Scores are always a little lower out there. But the game's been pretty good."

"I'm a little beat up from the year and a little tired, but I'm happy with the way I am playing."

Not a bad rookie season at all for Steele. He already has the same amount of wins on the PGA Tour in one season than he did in three seasons on the Nationwide Tour.

I'm sure we can expect to see his name near the tops of leader boards in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment