Jordan Replaced as Assistant for Presidents Cup

Michael Jordan has been replaced as an assistant captain to Fred Couples for the 2011 U.S. Presidents Cup team, by 11-time PGA Tour winner John Cook.

Jordan expressed his concern to Couples that he needed to stay in the U.S. during the current NBA lockout, as he is the majority of the Charlotte Bobcats organization.

"After careful consideration, it is with regret that I have decided to cancel my trip to Australia later this month for The Presidents Cup," Jordan said in a statement.

"With the NBA labor situation unsettled, as the majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, I feel it is necessary that I remain in the country. It was an honor to have been chosen by Fred Couples to serve as a Captain's Assistant. I wish Fred and the United States Team the best of luck."

Jordan also served as an assistant captain to Couples on the 2009 Presidents Cup team as well.

Now that Jordan is out, Couples turned to Cook to fill out his roster as his second assistant captain along with Jay Haas in Australia.

"John has been a friend of mine since we broke in together on the PGA TOUR in the early 1980s," Couples said, during his play this week at the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.

"Having achieved success at the highest levels in the golf world, I value his opinion greatly. Both John and Jay will provide tremendous support for myself and the United States Team in the upcoming matches at Royal Melbourne."

Cook, of course is thrilled at the opportunity to be apart of the U.S. Team and to represent his country in the event.

"I'm thrilled that Freddie has asked me to serve as a Captain's Assistant for the United States Presidents Cup Team," Cook said.

"Jay [Haas] has told me on several occasions that his 2009 Presidents Cup experience was one of his career highlights, and that meant a lot to me in making my decision. I'm looking forward to the challenge of helping the team retain the Cup."

The 2011 Presidents Cup will be played at Royal Melbourne Golf Club in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia November 17th - 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment