Sergio Garcia: "I'm not good enough to win a major"

The Masters never fails to disappoint with great shots, stunning scenario and drama from Augusta, Georgia. The 96th playing of the tournament was no exception.

32-year old Sergio Garcia, who is know stranger to major championship heart ache. Had some interesting comments after his lack luster round of 75, on Saturday afternoon.

In an interview with Spanish media. Garcia said, "I'm not good enough. I don't have the thing I need to have. In 13 years I've come to the conclusion that I need to play for second or third place."

After these head turning comments. El Nino as he is known by was asked if he meant, just at Augusta. Or at any major championship.

"In any major," the seven-time PGA Tour winner replied. Though he has not won on the PGA Tour since 2008, at The Players.

"I'm not good enough," Garcia continued. "I had my chances and opportunities and I wasted them. I have no more options. I wasted my options."

The Spaniard has obviously had near misses at major championships in the past. Having never been able to get over the hump, to claim victory at any of the four majors.

His best finishes at each are; T4 at The Masters (2004), T3 at the U.S. Open (2005), 2nd at the Open Championship (2007) and 2nd at the PGA Championship (1999).

Garcia did shoot a one-under, 71 on Sunday at the Masters, and finished in a tie for 12th.

The intense competitor was sitting in a good spot heading into Saturday at Augusta National, after carding his best 36 hole score in his 14 past Masters trips.

That position and perhaps confidence faded on moving day, as Garcia bogeyed three of his first four holes. And was unable to card a birdie until his 12th hole of the day.

You could see the frustration building in his body language as the round and weekend wore on him.

Asked Sunday about what his game was missing. Garcia simply replied, "everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment