Huh turns it around in Texas for strong finish

After opening his first round at the Valero Texas Open, by going 9-over par in his first eight holes. John Huh thought about packing it in on Thursday in San Antonio.

He carded five bogeys, a double bogey and triple bogey. To just two birdies to make the turn at 44 -- Eight over par.

However, the PGA Tour rookie put his head down and carded three birdies on his back-nine, to finish his opening round with a 77.

"I was 5 over after the third hole in the first round and I was actually going to withdraw but I kept telling myself, 'Don't give up, you got a lot of golf left' and here I am," Huh said of his thoughts on Thursday.

Although Huh would card that opening round of 77. He would carry that finishing birdie over through his next three rounds. Carding only one more bogey in his next 54 holes.

Already a winner this year on the PGA Tour. Huh would card scores of 68 in his second round and 67 in his third round. Which vaulted him right back into contention come Sunday.

"I was five shots back. That's five. It's a pretty big gap," Huh said. After finishing with a 3-under 69 on Sunday in his final round.

"All I have to do is play my game, give myself a good chance and I did it really well and Ben did it really well, too."

Huh proved that even though he was well back of the leaders after his dreadful opening round.

Patience, persistence, hard work and drive. Quitting, though he thought about it, was not on option for him.

He put his head down, stayed focused and turned his event around, to ultimately finish in a tie for second place at the Valero Texas Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment