Yani Tseng Wins Second Consecutive Player of the Year

LPGA Commissioner Michael Whan announced today that 22-year old Yani Tseng has won the LPGA Tour Rolex Player of the Year honor for a second consecutive season.

This announcement coming only a few days prior to the LPGA playing an inaugural event in Tseng's home country of Taiwan, the Sunrise LPGA Championship.

In winning this award for the second time in back-to-back seasons Tseng became only the eighth player in LPGA Tour history to win multiple awards.

"It feels very special for me to have the award announced in Tawain," Tseng said after receiving the news. "I feel like especially this week I can be sure to honor all of the fans in Taiwan and I really appreciate the LPGA Tour for giving me the opportunity."

"It means a lot to me especially because I won it two years in a row and I never even thought last year I would win."

"I set out a goal in the beginning of the year to hopefully win it again and I do my best every tournament. It feels really different because last year it came down to the very last tournament but this time it is five weeks earlier and it keeps me really relaxed."

Relaxed would be an understatement to me the way Tseng has played this year on the LPGA Tour.

She has won an eye popping six events so far in 2011 including two majors. The Wegmans LPGA Championship and the Ricohs British Open.

For her career, Tseng now has 11 LPGA Tour victories, five major championships and has earned more than $7-million dollars.

LPGA Tour commissioner Whan was also quick to praise the young Taiwanese super star.

"Yani is a true global ambassador of the LPGA and the game of golf and nowhere is that more evident than in her native Taiwan where we are hosting the inaugural Sunrise LPGA Championship."

"I congratulate Yani on another fantastic year and a second-consecutive Rolex Player of the Year award. I know I join many golf fans who look forward to what she has in store for the remainder of this season."

At only 22-years of age, Tseng has the majority of her career ahead of her and one can only imagine with this amount of talent what she can accomplish both on and off the golf course.

Congratulations to Yani Tseng on another Rolex Player of the Year award.

No comments:

Post a Comment