Tom Lewis Captures his First Win in Just Three Events

Third time was the charm for 20-year old Englishman Tom Lewis as he won the Portugal Masters in only his third event after turning professional last month.

Lewis, turned heads in the golfing world earlier in the year by coming the first amateur to lead the British Open after firing a first round score of 65.

Spanish golfer Rafael Cabrera-Bello had the lead heading into the final round by four strokes over Lewis. However his double bogey on the 12th hole saw his chances at victory slip away.

Lewis on the other hand played lights out on the back-nine, carding five birdies over his last seven holes to win his first event as a professional by two strokes.

In doing so, it assures himself of not having to go to the Tour's qualifying school and he now has full playing privileges for two years on the European Tour.

After his round, the young Englishman had this to say on his performance. "I was just happy shooting in the sixties no matter where I finished."

"If you had said I would finish 21-under I would have said no way. To have two years on the European Tour, I would have not dreamt that at the beginning of the week, so I'm really pleased."

The feat comes a few events quicker than even Tiger Woods' first victory, who needed five events to record his first victory as a professional.

Lewis himself seemed a bit surprised by his play and finish in Portugal. Stating he was more worried about going to Q-School than the tournament itself.

"I wouldn't have expected that at all," said Lewis. "I was dreading qualifying school at the end of the year but it looks like I've skipped that."

"I'm just really pleased with my performance."

In the end, it was Lewis taking home the silver in Vilamoura, Portugal and his first of what I am sure will be many titles in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment