Dustin Johnson goes low for Five Shot Lead

Dustin Johnson tied the course record with a 9-under 63, four shots better than anyone else in round two on Friday, and built a five-shot lead in the HSBC Champions over Bubba Watson, Boo Weekley and first round leader, Rory McIlroy.

The long hitting Johnson began his round by tearing off six birdies in his first seven holes. Quickly going deep and getting his round to 6-under par.

His only blemish came at the par-4, 10th where he carded his rounds loan bogey.

Back-to-back birdies made that stroke up on Nos. 13 and 14 -- Adding two more circles to his card on No. 16 and finished it out with yet another birdie on the final hole.

Johnson became the sixth player with a 63 at Sheshan International, last achieved by Martin Kaymer in the final round in 2011.

"I really drove the ball really well," Johnson said after his round. "For me, that's a big key."

Graeme McDowell also agreed with Johnson's driving in round two, "I've probably seen 18 of the best drives I've seen all year in the last two days."

"It was kind of tough to focus when playing with Dustin Johnson hitting it 350 yards in the middle of the fairways," McDowell continued. "It was a little demoralizing at times. But I was happy that I hung in there. If he keeps playing the way he's played the last two days, he'll be tough to catch."

First round leader McIlroy, started his second round with a two-shot lead. Adding to that lead with three birdies on the front nine, stretching his lead to four shots. However, Johnson was just getting warmed up en route to his 63.

After his good start on the front nine, it wasn't long before McIlroy started to cool off, giving shots back to the course and coming back to the field.

Just as he did in round one, McIlroy drove into the same bunker he was in on Thursday at the par-5, 11th and made another bogey. After that, he carded another two bogeys on his inward nine at No. 15 and 18. Never really giving him a good look at another birdie to finish his round.

"I just hit a couple of bad shots, and then I guess I let it affect me a little bit, and then I started to doubt myself sometimes," said McIlroy. "I didn't hit a lot of quality shots on the back nine."

Not playing on the US President's Cup team, this was Johnson's first event of the 2013-14 season. Not a bad way to begin if he can continue his strong play through the weekend.

"It still hasn't hit me that this is a new season," he said. "I'd like to get off to a good start. I just want to play well the next two days."

No comments:

Post a Comment