Jimmy Walker wins first PGA Tour title at Frys

36 and 54 hole leader Brookes Koepka faltered on Sunday at the Frys.com Open with a final round 1-over 71 opening the door for Jimmy Walker to win his first PGA Tour title at Cordevalle Golf Club.

Walker's first win came in his eighth year and 188th start on the PGA Tour, which includes an invite to The Masters, Hyundai Tournament of Champions and The Players in 2014.

"I think it will sink in after a while," said Walker after the final round on Sunday. "Relief right now. It feels really good. I'm pretty excited."

After carding an opening nine of 3-under, the former Baylor Bear found himself tied for the lead with four holes to play, when he rolled in a 6-footer for birdie on the par-5 15th, to go to the outright lead with three to play.

Closing pars on his final three holes was enough, as Walker carded just one bogey in his final round to go with six birdies. Finishing his final round at 5-under 66 and 17-under overall to win the event bu t two strokes over Vijay Singh and three shots ahead of Kevin Na, Scott Brown, Hiedeki Matsuyama and Brooks Koepka.

For Koepka, it was just not meant to be. Playing a sponsors exemption, the 23-year old just couldn't convert putts on his final round. Giving way to hard charges from Walker, Singh and others.

In the end, Kopeka would car a final round 1-over par 72, finishing at 14-under par for the event and in a tide for third.

"Things weren't going my way," Koepka said after his round on Sunday. "I didn't make the shots I needed to win. Congrats to Jimmy on that. I'll try to learn from the whole experience."

For Walker, it was indeed a sweet victory eight years in the making. With a career of 188 events PGA Tour events played. 44 top-25's, 20 top-10's and three top-5's -- He can now add Frys.com Open Champion to his resume.

"I wasn't good enough to play on the PGA Tour when I was 20, 21 like these guys are. I mean, they are really good. I've gone through everything." Continued Walker after his first career PGA Tour win.

"I've played -- not on every tour, but a lot of tours. I won on a lot of tours. This is kind of a final steppingstone. Just continue to keep doing it and keep playing well. It feels great. Wouldn't take back anything I've ever done or anything I've ever gone through to get there."

At the age of 34, Jimmy Walker, a two-time winner on the Nationwide Tour (2004 & 2007), player of the year and money list winner in 2004, is now a PGA Tour Champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment