Dustin Johnson, who has had some turbulent times in past majors, announced today he had to withdraw from The Masters.
The Columbia, SC native has been fighting off back problems since early in January.
"You have no idea how much I wanted to walk the fairways at Augusta and fulfill what I've been practicing for!! I'll have to root my buddies!" The bomber said via his twitter account.
He has never finished higher than 30th at Augusta National.
David Winkle, Johnson's agent at Hambric Sports Management said, "His back bothered him from time to time. He kind of played through the pain, but it was never crippling."
"He rested it at Bay Hill, got back to working some last week, and tweaked it last week lifting a jet ski."
Johnson of course has made headlines in recent majors, though not for the reasons he would have liked.
He was the 54-hole leader at the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach in 2010. Before carding an 82 on Sunday to finish in a tie for eighth.
And of course, we all remember the now infamous "bunker incident" at Whistling Straits, in the PGA Championship the same year. Where Johnson grounded his club in what was later identified as a bunker. Incurring a two-stroke penalty. Finishing in a tie for fifth.
Most recently, at the 2011 Open Championship where he was closing in on the lead of eventually winner, Darren Clarke.
Johnson pulled his second shot on No. 14 WELL out of bounds ending his run. A tie for second, on the other side of the pond.
As there is no alternate list this week at Augusta. The field now stands at 96 players.