Watson takes lead into Sunday at Doral

The third round at the World Golf Championship-Cadillac Championship showed that when the wind is down at Doral, the Blue Monster loses some of it's bight.

Second round leader Bubba Watson, had an interesting go of it today in very favorable conditions.

The freakishly long Watson, who carves shape out of seemingly every shot. Bounced a shot off of a fan in the gallery, then banged one over a green into a tower. On his way to carding a five-under par, 67.

Taking a three shot lead over Keegan Bradley and Justin Rose into the final round on Sunday.

“I like a challenge,” said Watson after his round. “I’m stubborn. I like doing it myself. I love applauding myself. I just swing funny and somehow it works.”

Coming out of the gates quickly. Watson eagled the par-five first. Backing that up with a birdie, three on the second. Taking him back up by three early in his round.

Two dropped shots on four and nine, were erased by three birdies in a four hole stretch on five, seven and eight. Watson made the turn with a 32.

The back-nine was not so adventurous as the front side.

Watson open with pars on 10 and 11 before birdying the par-five, 12th and the par-four, 14th.

His only flaw on the inward nine was a bogey on the 16th.

He would finish off with two more pars, en route to his 67 and his three shot lead.

"I Got off to a quick start, little eagle and birdie on the second hole." Watson continued.

"Missed a short one on 3 but had a couple ‑‑ I had a 3‑putt on 4; kind of a 3‑putt on 9, it was on the fringe, so doesn't really count as a 3‑putt. And then I skulled one out of the bunker on 16 making bogey. But all in all it was a great day."

"I knew anything under par would be a good score so somehow I'm here with a lead still."

No comments:

Post a Comment