Westwood flirts with 59; leads in Thailand by five

Lee Westwood opened the 2011 Thailand Golf Championship flirting with a very exclusive number, 59.

The current world No. 3 was well on his way, and on a '59 watch', after going out in 29.

Westwood started out on fire, carding five birdies and an eagle through his first six holes. He knew then he could have a go at the illusive 59.

The former No. 1 ranked player had come close to that number a few times before. Westwood has carded a few 61's as well as a 62 just two weeks prior to this event at the Nedbank Challenge.

However, the 59 was not meant to be.

Westwood ended his round carding a course record 12-under par, 60. And now leads after one round by five strokes over John Daly -- Who carded a 65.

“I’ve never shot a 60 before,” said Westwood after his brilliant opening round.

“It was in my mind to get to 13 under but it wasn’t to be,” he went on to say.

“I gave myself a few chances. Left one short on the hole on 11 and one short on 14. Had a good chance on 16 as well."

"I don’t think you can be disappointed with a 60. I have to be a fairly harsh critic of myself to walk away disappointed.”

I would say so. A 59 is of course the be-all-end-all of scores for any golfer, especially a touring pro.

However, there is nothing wrong with going out and dropping a 60 on the field in an opening round either.

Daly, had a front row seat to the action unfolding just one group ahead of him in round one.

The two-time major champion has made head lines recently on the course, for actually walking off of courses, opened the event up with a very nice round of seven-under, 65.

Which has to be a nice change for him after recent events and antics he has been involved in.

“That was just one hell of a round,” said Daly on Westwood's round.

“I would have never ever dreamed that I would shoot a 7 under let alone a 12 under. My hat that I’m not wearing is off to him because that was just an awesome round of golf he played.”

Westwood now leads Daly by five strokes at the Amata Spring Country Club in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment